A couple of quick midweek notes…
If you’re an early, early bird, don’t expect anytime soon to turn on your TV at 4:30 a.m. and find news on market leader WFTV-Channel 9. “It’s not something I’m doing this fall,” WFTV General Manager Shawn Bartelt told Orlando Sentinel TV Guy Hal Boedeker. “Traffic is worse in other places. People have to get up earlier. If I see a demand, we’ll meet that demand. I’m not seeing it.” …
Elsewhere, former Fox 35 morning meteorologist Doug Kammerer continues his industry climb. The newly installed chief meteorologist at NBC O&O WRC-Channel 4 in Washington, D.C., sat down for a Q&A piece with The Washington Post. I think we now know why Doug isn’t in the Sunshine State anymore. When asked, “What do you most look forward to covering weather in D.C., ” Kammerer said, “I look forward to covering the winters here. I love the winters in this area. Last winter was simply amazing as we saw storm after storm. I doubt we will ever see another winter like that one, but just give me one big storm a year and I will be happy. I love to forecast snow totals and I pride myself on getting them right.”
Reports of swine flu in Orlando are raising the temperatures of some folks running the local news stations.
On Tuesday, WFTV-Channel 9 reported that there was a confirmed case of swine flu in Orlando. The report turned out to be false. WFTV blamed the error on an email it received from a doctor at Florida Hospital; WESH-Channel 2 blamed WFTV News Director Bob Jordan.
“Hospital Denies Report of Swine Flu in Orlando” was the headline on WESH.com. The report detailed a news conference at Florida Hospital about the incident. Channel 2 reported: “The news conference was held in response to a media report that a tourist from Mexico who was at the Disney attractions had swine flu. The report, first posted on the WFTV news director’s Twitter account at 10:35 a.m., quoted an e-mail sent by Florida Hospital’s chief medical officer Dr. Loran Hauck.”
The Daily Buzz is moving to a new home — and a new station.
WRDQ announced Friday that the Buzz is moving to TV 27 from WKCF-CW 18 starting May 28. According to the press release, "TV27 is taking The Daily Buzz back to the roots of where the show previously aired, and enjoyed its largest audience, at 6 a.m. Monday through Friday leading into Eyewitness News This Morning. A second hour will be tape-delayed and presented at 10:30 a.m."
The Buzz has been sort of a red-headed stepchild at CW18 after the station was acquired by WESH parent Hearst-Argyle. WESH expanded its morning news to CW18, bumping the Buzz to 9 a.m.-noon and running the show on a three-hour delay.
"The Daily Buzz has created a distinct brand that fills a void in the morning. It’s the perfect lead in to Eyewitness News This Morning, which will continue to air from 7-8:30 a.m.," said Shawn Bartelt, General Manager for WFTV/ WRDQ. "We recognize that there has been a longing in the community for The Daily Buzz to return to its original time period, and we are excited to give the audience what they are looking for."
As we reported earlier, The Buzz is currently broadcasting from the Disney-MGM Studios until its new broadcast facility at Full Sail is completed.