CO poisoning sends 6 photog to hospital

Our Sponsors

Scott Schroeder, a photographer for WKMG, suffered severe carbon monoxide poisoning inside a Local 6 live truck earlier this week while on assignment in Cocoa Beach. NewsBlues.com reports that Schroeder was found sitting upright in the front seat, passed out and foaming from the mouth. The truck’s CO alarm was sounding. The reporter with the crew called 911, and when fire department investigators arrived they found carbon monoxide levels in the vehicle were "off the chart." Schroeder — who fire officials said was lucky he didn’t die or suffer brain damage — was later released from the hospital and was resting at home.

For longtime market watchers, the incident was eerily similar to what happened in 1992 to then-Channel 6 reporter Shepard Smith. Now a Fox News Channel anchor, Smith was rushed to the hospital after he was found passed out from carbon monoxide fumes inside a Channel 6 news van. Smith had been editing for about two minutes inside the aging van when he collapsed. Photographer Chris Kennedy got Smith out of the van and called for help.

Station management at the time cited the poor condition of the news vehicle, saying there were expecting a replacement soon and didn’t want to bother fixing any problems with it.

About Roger Simmons 549 Articles
Roger Simmons has been blogging about Orlando television since 2001. You can email him at roger@rogersimmons.com